/ / Low Level Carbon Monoxide – Did you know?
Blog

Low Level Carbon Monoxide – Did you know?

So you have a carbon monoxide detector or several in your home, and you think you are protected? You could be exposed to low-level carbon monoxide in your home and not even know it!

How carbon monoxide detectors work

These units are typically time-weighted alarms.  They measure the buildup of carbon monoxide in the home. So depending on the level and time is when the machine will give off an alarm. Here are a few comparisons on when they will go off.

Carbon monoxide levels at…

40 ppm the alarm goes off after 10 hours

50 ppm 8 hours

70 ppm 1-4 hours

400 ppm 4-15 mins

These numbers were taken from the kiddie.com website.

Health effects and symptoms to exposure…

Here some levels to give you general idea compiled from multiple internet sources.

0 ppm – Fresh air

9 ppm – Maximum indoor level recommended

10-24 ppm – Possible health effects with long-term exposure

100 ppm – A headache after 1-2 hours

200 ppm – Dizziness, nausea, fatigue, headache

400 ppm – Life threatening in 3 hours

800 ppm – Death within 2-3 hours unconsciousness after 1 hour

So what about levels under 40 ppm?

The fact is most detectors will never go off! 

For some detectors that have a digital display, you can push a button that will display the last highest level detected. These typically will register to 10 ppm. Even if they detect a low level does not mean the alarm will ever go off! The scary thing is there are a lot of studies out there that low-level carbon monoxide for long periods of time can have health risks.

Harvard Health published an article that explains carbon monoxide poisoning and also low-level exposure and the health risks associated with it. You can learn more with this article.

The point of this article is to get a Low-level carbon monoxide detector!

If you are having any reading above 1 or 2 on your home most likely you have a problem with a heating appliance and this should be fixed before low-level exposure or a serious problem with the appliance.

They do cost more but your health is worth it!

Inspection Request

Call us or fill out the form. After you fill out the form we will be in touch almost immediately to give you an accurate quote and go over scheduling and availability.

603-722-0893

First
Last

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *